Sunday, January 14, 2007

okay, okay, more football

Why did I ever think that a Marty Schottenheimer-coached team, seeded first in the AFC, playing at home, with the best running back in pro football, could possibly win a playoff game and advance to the Super Bowl? To be played in San Diego???
The Chargers had field position repeatedly and got nothing. Dropped passes played a big part, but somehow I blame Marty for that as well. And the single biggest play of the game - an interception by San Diego that leads to a fumble and a takeaway, thanks to Troy Brown. Huge. Was it my imagination but with few exceptions, have defensive backs completely lost the ability to catch the ball? I know that's why they're DBs in the first place, but my god, they really can't catch. And Marty burning a timeout challenging the call that it wasn't a fumble... I'll bet that will sit well with the Chargers owner as he prepares to fire him. If you had an old 6 inch blaack and white TV you could tell the fumble was not going to be reversed. Bye Marty. Dream of Elway. Well, I've learned my lesson and now, since I can't imagine the Indy defense playing like the Ravens defense for a third straight week, I like New England next Sunday at Indy. More on this later.
As for the NFC, today's game was Seattle's to win and they blew it. Grossman played a good quarter and a bit at the start but then was a dog most of the day. But still the Seahawks couldn't manage. Well, as with the AFC, I see a team showing up from out of town and if Seattle, with limited weapons, could put up 20+ on Da Bears, I see the Saints matching that, and more. I see overall team speed as the biggest factor in the game, with once again, Reggie Bush being the X factor. I like the Saints. And then what a Super Bowl - 2 of Bill's Boys, Parcells that is - Pats and Saints. 3 out of 5 vs. never-ever in Super Bowl 41. In San Diego. Without Marty Schottenheimer.
As for our insane junta in Washington now going on friendly-to-them media and saying the Dems are irresponsible for not having a plan - I'll just say Kennedy has offered a plan, Biden has offered a plan, and John Murtha has offered a plan. Probably others as well including the bi-partisan Iraq Study Group. All plans. All offered. Oh, but none included invading Iran so their viability was questioned. Silly Democrats, don't you know any plan for peace in Iraq MUST include war somewhere else. Remember, Oceania is always at war with Eurasia. (Thanks, Keith)
And you remember, War is over if you want it.
Reagrds, MLK Jr. Know that in 2006 there are high school students in America who think you freed the slaves. If I remember correctly, this was stated 2 years ago in a History class at Taft High taught by my good friend, Mark Mishkin. Even without the man who is still not my President, I worry about the future of American democracy.
Later, (after the two-minute hate)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only thing that makes me sometimes see a little bit of light at the end of an otherwise ignorant tunnel is knowing there are kids out there like yours who do know that MLK did not free the slaves. I fear for the future. But I am sure they will soon make a pill or an i-pod to cure what worries me. Go Saints!

Stephanie Lynn said...

don't hate on the colts. just because your team has his frighteningly inefficient brother doesn't mean you can dis both of the current brothers. interceptions don't lead to touchdowns. the quarterbacks have to get them to the endzone first, and ahem, mcnair should have retired three years ago, and brady? you know how many interceptions he threw this year? damn quarterback cost me a good two weeks of fantasy first place. bah. the patriots don't have what it takes anymore.